Bildungsurlaub in England, Ireland and Malta
Why not use your entitlement to “Bildungsurlaub” to take a language course?
Many German ”Bundesländer” acknowledge a stay abroad as further education under the ”Bildungsurlaub” regulations. The ”Bundesländer” of Bayern, Sachsen and Thüringen are exceptions, because employees here are not entitled to a ”Bildungsurlaub”. Nordrhein-Westfalen has not yet accredited any British schools for ”Bildungsurlaub” (however, it is possible to obtain an indirect approval via local hosts in NRW). In the remaining ”Bundesländer” (Baden-Württemberg, Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Hessen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, Sachsen-Anhalt and Schleswig Holstein) every employee has the right to demand a ”Bildungsurlaub” of one week, regardless of his age. The only requirement is that he or she has to have been employed by the company for at least half a year. If you do not use your ”Bildungsurlaub” quota for one year you can usually carry it over to the next year – meaning that you would then be entitled to ten working days of ”Bildungsurlaub”. Your entitlement to “Bildungsurlaub” depends on where your company is based, not on your place of residence.
The underlying principle of the ”Bildungsurlaub” is lifelong learning. The subject of this training should be courses and events acknowledged by the respective ”Bundesland”, which provide political or professional education. Please note: the choice of course belongs to you, not your employer. Both General English courses and Business English courses can be accepted as ”Bildungsurlaub” so long as they are offered by an accredited language school. There is usually a minimum requirement of 30 hours of study per week (including independent study sessions). We are will be pleased to help you find the language course that suits you best and that also conforms to the requirements of the ”Bildungsurlaub” regulations. Simply contact us to discuss your requirements.
Education and vacation
As the intention of a “Bildungurlaub” is further education, the main purpose of your trip will be to improve your language skills. But there is no reason why this can’t be done in a pleasant environment. You have the option of combining a high-quality language course with a stay in England, Scotland or Malta. We can recommend schools with “Bildungsurlaub” recognition near the sea or in the most attractive cities of England, Scotland and Ireland.
Find the best "Bildungsurlaub" with help from English in Britain
- As a general principle, English courses abroad are permitted for “Bildungsurlaub”. We can recommend schools accredited by the following “Bundesländer”: Baden-Württemberg, Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Hessen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, Sachsen-Anhalt and Schleswig Holstein.
- Anyone who has been employed by their company for more than half a year is entitled to “Bildungsurlaub”. The employee’s age does not affect this entitlement, however the size of the company does. Contact us for further information and advice.
- If you do not use your entitlement to “Bildungsurlaub” one year you should be able to carry it over to the following year, meaning that you will then be entitled to up to ten working days of “Bildungsurlaub”.
- You can choose from a wide range of English courses, including Business English courses. The important thing is that the language school is accredited.
- Your entitlement to “Bildungsurlaub” depends on where your company is based, not on your place of residence.